I am very proud of my friend, Heidi. She always impresses me with her enthusiasm to learn, including about diabetes. I believe Heidi has a high standard of care, credibility and a unique knowledge base that enables her to help diabetic patients on a larger scale. Therefore, I have encouraged Heidi to develop an educational program about diabetes to serve the community and help people living with diabetes enjoy a better quality of life. Dr. Nermin Gergis, CCFP.
In early 2020, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults) as an emergent ICU DKA(Diabetic Ketoacidosis) patient. What I have learned since then has shed a bright light on education and performance-related issues. My studies have also identified that specialization without appropriate collaboration and consultation outside the umbrella of healthcare is a barrier to keeping the focus on a positive individual daily outcome.
What can I do?
- I can provide experiential knowledge supported by detailed evidence and data.
- I can teach. I am an experienced educator, presenter, public speaker and performer.
- I can identify misleading and contradictory information.
- I work holistically.
- I can advocate for patients.
- I am accustomed to collaborating with professionals from many different fields of study including medicine.
- I can help break down stigmas that exist in healthcare and the public regarding diabetes.
- I can help create a new field in diabetic care.